Saturday 15 February 2020

The Last Empress

Can't remember what exactly got me watching The Last Empress, a 2018-2019 K-Drama by SBS but of course I watched it on Netflix, though I believe it's because of, first, curiosity and, second, familiarity with the main actors - Jang Na-Ra, Choi Jin-Hyuk, and Shin Sung-Rok.

I have known Jang Na-Ra back in my high school days, when there wasn't an explosion yet of the Korean Wave. I didn't know I've seen Shin Sung-Rok before through My Love From the Star until I dug up his other projects after watching Vagabond. I remember Choi Jin-Hyuk from Gu Family Book, which I haven't finished watching. Ok, before I carry on, I just found out that Choi was in Pasta. Woah.

So The Last Empress was about a musical actress Oh Sunny (Jang Na-Ra) who married the modern Emperor of  Korea, Lee Hyuk (Shin Sung-Rok) only to find out how she was used, with a lot of attempted murders along the way. To sum it up, this Korean drama is historical fiction (as the Korean Empire is set in modern times), drama (of betrayals and murder plots), suspense, and also comedy. Yes, I never thought both genre can come into play in one drama. Their lives got intertwined long before they knew. Both got connected with Na Wang-Sik (Tae Hang-Ho/Choi Jin-Hyuk).

I just remembered, I'm familiar with Tae Hang-Ho though I can't remember from which drama it was. He was the primary reason I got curious with The Last Empress more than Choi Jin-Hyuk did.

There were plenty of absurd situations in this drama but I guess it would be "that's how people would probably react back in the old times" but set in modern times. Like you could say, those wicked people should've been subject to investigation and trial but they still carried on.

Despite the violence, there were plenty of comic scenes as if it was a live-action drama of an Anime. My favourite was the laundry scene involving the three primary characters. But my favourite characters were Oh Hello (Stephanie Lee) and Crown Prince Lee Yoon / authorVincent Lee (Oh Seung-Yoon).

Now Playing: Gaho - Not Over

No comments:

Post a Comment