Saturday 23 September 2017

Descendants of the Sun (2016)


It's been months since I've finished watching DESCENDANTS OF THE SUN. At first I wasn't so sure if I could write about it. I wanted to but it was like a good book that really left an impact in me. I'm not sure in what ways but they're there, subtle but certain.

The first episode of DotS blew me away because the cinematography was just amazing. I even wondered if I was actually watching just a TV drama and not a film. The grass scene was so poignant, for my lack of better description, that my heart kind of skipped a beat. It was not the only time I had that feeling. It was, in a way, dramatic.

Yoo Shi-Jin (Song Joong-Ki) was a very interesting character. Though he's always a sunshine type of person, he had few moments were he looked mysterious and even pretty dangerous. Argus (David McInnis) was right after all.

It's obvious that there are a lot, almost countless ways, to love about Cpt. Yoo. One of my favourite scenes that involved him would be during the bilateral talks between the two Koreas. That jump over a vehicle was awesome. Of course there are a lot more. Most of them involved comic situations.

Still during the bilateral talks, that exchange between Big Boss and Wolf in the former's hospital room was just very amusing. Well, these two are always amazing, both as comrades and as partners in crime.

Who would ever forget their stat reaction when they were informed about their package? On how they tried to sell the other for their respective love-interest's sake? Their friendship is too precious.

I'm missing the Yoo Shi-Jin and Seo Dae-Young (Jin Goo) tandem.

 

Dr. Kang Mo-Yeon (Song Hye-Kyo) was also an interesting character. Very much. All of them actually are. A very talented doctor yet kept in the shadows for lack of connections in the medical politics, it's interesting how Dr. Kang's life events led her to Cpt. Yoo.

I think how Song Hye-Kyo portrayed Dr. Kang was very unique. My lack of familiarity with Korean actresses may be one of the reasons but thinking of the "A-listers" it's quite difficult to imagine someone else. Jun Ji-Hyun maybe? I don't know. I'm glad it was Ms. Song who played Dr. Kang.

My favourite scene involving Dr. Kang would be the accidental playlist. The confession that got broadcasted over the entire camp was sooo funny. I loved it. Huge credits for the writer/s. Whoever developed the drama and characters in it did a very good job.

It is given that anyone watching DotS would love Yoo-Kang/Kang-Yoo couple, which actually caused the fandom to dub them as the SongSong couple. Congratulations to both by the way. This reminds me of the scene when Dr. Kang was drunk. That was a hilarious scene.

However, the secondary couple is also difficult to miss nor not love. They're just cute at times though usually tugs the heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment