Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Heirs (2013)


I have misjudged THE HEIRS because of lipstick. Silly but true. It really bothered me seeing the shades of lipsticks the actors were using, Lee Min-Ho and Kim Woo-Bin in particular. And it happened at a time when I wasn't so fond of Lee. I'm still not.

Twenty episodes. I endured 20 hours after going back to the start. I can't remember anymore what made me watch it again, but I'm glad I did. Thinking about it, I guess I was looking for some J-Dramas but having no sufficient source led me to settle for K-Dramas. No biggie. I got to know some things. They may not be very important but I'll hold on to them to keep my sanity.


Back to The Heirs, I think this is one project that had solid characters. Each had his story without being useless to the whole and others. Each character's story was worth telling. It makes them human and relatable. Well, except for the fairy tale type of situation they were in because, good heavens, they were only 18. An 18-year old with a lot of burden, yes. But such burdens? 😕

The other thing that also bothered me was the lack of attention to time synchronization, which in fairness to The Heirs is a common mistake. For one, Kim Tan's (Lee Min-Ho) mother Han Ki-Ae (Kim Sung-Ryung) was calling him as she wakes up then Kim Tan answers the call when he was at school on a broad daylight. He was in California! There's also a scene when Kang Ye-Sol (Jeon Soo-Jin) was talking to Lee Hyo-Shin (Kang Ha-Neul) then parts with him while addressing or calling out Lee Bo-Na (Krystal Jung) in a different direction. Of course Lee Bo-Na might have stood up and went somewhere but she was busy on the phone before Kang Ye-Sol was shown. She couldn't have left that quick and far. Well, these can be dismissed.

Out of the twenty episodes I think I have two favourite scenes. One was when Choi Young-Do (Kim Woo-Bin) introduced himself as the third son of JeGuk Group while Jo Myung-Soo (Park Hyung-Sik) introduced himself as the youngest daughter.
There was another but I can't remember it, unfortunately. It either involves Choi Young-Do or Lee Hyo-Shin; perhaps both.

No comments:

Post a Comment