Monday 5 September 2016

Silong

I was right about a thing or two but I didn't see the end coming. And for that I love Silong, a 2015 indie-film directed by Jeffrey Hidalgo and Roy Sevilla Ho starring Piolo Pascual and Rhian Ramos.

Crazy as it may seem but I love how twisted Silong was. Yes, I love it because to say I like it is not enough. Not even saying "I like it very much" would explain how I feel about the film. To do so would mean I enjoy it in a happy and/or pleasant way. I did enjoy Silong but in a way that I took everything it gave without criticism or judgment. I've been wondering throughout the film but I just carried on. I was looking forward to the truth.

And now it leaves me looking forward for more films like this. Perhaps I should really watch a lot of indie films.

Silong. I was right about my initial thoughts about Miguel, Pascual's character. I thought I was getting things right when he recalled his mother's story when he was six years old.

I was right on the principle that "the child is the father of a man" but I got so focused on that, which I admit to hate got me stop wondering in a sense of verifying my analysis.

I forgot that the child also grew, whether to live or die or transform. My thought process didn't get to that phase. Still I love Silong though it kind of had me blinded. I love it because it showed me that I was wrong on how my thoughts were leading. Again, I love it for being twisted.

Silong is one of those few movies that told me I thought wrong. There were times when even during the first ten minutes of a film, I would make an initial conclusion and would usually be right. It makes me feel like I got deprived of the element of surprise. I just needed the next minutes to collect supporting circumstances. It reminds me when someone was watching The Fault in Our Stars while I was working on something. I just heard the conversation then within 5-10 minutes, I already knew what actually happened, why people were making a fuss about it. I just waited for the end to confirm my thoughts.

My initial thoughts about Miguel were right though I haven't thought the end early on. Valerie, Ramos' character, was a surprise to me only because my initial thoughts were wrong. But I kind of recovered that I knew what she would discover behind that particular door.

Cinematography-wise, I like it. No, I love it. I would prefer to watch a film featuring views I saw in Silong than mainstream ones that lack art. The milieu didn't even have to be in the country. I can appreciate a good film set in a city given that the scenes give justice to the place and the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment