Sunday 10 April 2016

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

I've finally watched Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice albeit having had tension headache slash almost migraine for hours. It was last night at the Robinsons Place Antipolo. It's interesting to have watched the film where I first saw Henry Cavill because of The Man from UNCLE.

Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman
It's not unknown that Dawn of Justice got negative reviews from critics, saying that Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) was the only good thing about the film. I watched the film because of 3 B's: Batman, Bruce Wayne, and Ben Affleck, in no particular order. I grew up watching Batman every Friday nights on ABS-CBN and I've grown to like Affleck in many ways. But I have to admit that my admiration on him began with Good Will Hunting as I found out that he co-wrote its script with Matt Damon.

Regardless of what people say, I had a strong conviction why I wanted to watch Dawn of Justice.

I could go on and on telling how I fangirl-ed on Bruce Wayne/Ben Affleck while watching the film, but I won't do that. What I'd like to say, however, is that I kind of understood why the film got negative reviews although I haven't read any, as far as I could remember. I didn't have to. I was already resolved to watch "the greatest gladiator match." It was Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) who said that. Btw, I think Eisenberg was amazing in portraying a "mad" character.

As I was saying, on the critics' disappointment, I'd say it rooted on the change of events. I'm not sure though. I watched a cartoon film last week featuring a clash between Batman and Superman. Both have gone old, perhaps older than the characters in the live-action film. It featured a different story in the sense of what's what and who's who. Cartoons, I dare say, will always be true to the plot so I think it was the original story and Dawn of Justice was manipulated or bent according to whoever wanted it that way.

Anyway, was it only me or did Batman's armoured suit make him look like Bulkhead?

Watching the film rekindled in me something that was ignited back in 2012. I think the spark began in 2007/2008, which had something related to something in Dawn of Justice.

I have some favourite moments/scenes in this film, most of which involved Wonder Woman.


In no particular order/based on how I remember them as of writing, my favourite scenes were:
1. Superman saving Lois Lane (Amy Adams) from falling, as pushed by Lex Luthor atop the building. I actually find how Clark showed up quite romantic.
2. That SMIRK on Wonder Woman's face! #IALLCAPSMOPARAINSTENSE I find that short moment telling a lot of story and a lot of Wonder Woman's character. I love it!
3. Wonder Woman saving Batman.
4. Batman's reaction prior to that moment (#3).
5. Wonder Woman displaying her sword skills. Basically all her fighting scenes.
6. Bruce Wayne listening to Alfred's sermons. Because I find that look-to-your-right dark and sexy.
7. Diana Prince stealing someone's car, with that "I'm not denying it" look at the owner.


I also like how Superman reacted when he first saw Wonder Woman, asking Batman about it. Batman's response was equally amusing. More than  these, I'm glad Wonder Woman came to join the fight and not just show up as Diana Prince for a cameo and a few scenes in her Amazonian outfit. I really looked forward to seeing a fighting Wonder Woman.

Before watching Dawn of Justicce, I've only liked two or three DC characters. I've never been fond of Superman or Wonder Woman. My view on the former was changed by this film while the latter was changed by Gal Gadot. I also like how Clark Kent showed his humanity and something else.


No comments:

Post a Comment