Monday 30 November 2015

Mei-chan no Shitsuji

I’m trying to remember how I ended up watching Mei-chan no Shitsuji (Mei’s Butler). I think it was because of Mukai Osamu, who was immediately followed by Satoh Takeru. Or was it really because of Satoh? I could hardly remember. There’s one thing I am sure though. It was not because of Mizushima Hiro.
Synopsis:
The story revolves around a young woman named Mei (Eikura Nana), who was rescued as a young girl by someone calling himself her “butler.” With only a vague memory, though, the experience seems like just a dream. But one day, after her parents’ accidental death, he appears: Rihito (Mizushima Hiro) comes from a line of outstanding butlers, and he has been appointed to serve her! Now her ordinary life has completely flipped, as she discovers that she’s actually the heiress to a fortune, and is forced to transfer to St. Lucia Girls’ Academy, where all the students have butlers! As a result, her childhood friend Kento (Satoh Takeru) decides to enroll in a butler school so that he can stay close to her. – TokyoGraph

The butler part of the plot/story was ridiculous. It was amusing though because they’re really skilled especially those of the S-Rank. There was even one, Shinobu (Mukai) was the name, who happened to be a doctor. Wow. By the way, his wig was so off. I like Mukai, but they could’ve been more convincing about the hair. I wish they had.
Kento/Mame Shiba (Satoh) was equally funny. His hair was as ridiculous as the butler part of this story. I still like Sato though. I actually like his acting here. I wonder if I’m just being bias but I find him natural. And that scene with Mei (Eikura) at the beach was moving. It’s not totally poignant, but I was moved nonetheless. Also, whenever I see Mame Shiba, I can’t help but think that Sato is so thin. It was sort of an anxious thought, especially that Mame Shiba was a regular character and part of Mei’s life.

I was observing Osamu Mukai in this J-Drama. It’s amusing to find him playing a reserved character compared to those he played in Osen, Hotaru no Hikari and Bambino! as well as Hungry! It’s also amusing that all of his dramas that I’ve watched were food-themed. Hotaru no Hikari may be the only the exception though there were some food and drinking scenes.
As for Mizushima playing Rihito opposite Eikura, I was, in a lot of times, bothered. Truth be told, I find his acting questionable. His facial muscles, in my opinion, were robotic. I know I’m not fond of him so I wanted to doubt and question my prejudice, the same way I did for Matsumoto Jun in Bambino! However, I still couldn’t reconcile my lack of fondness. I’m guessing he was playing the role because he’s famous with girls, which I still wonder. I’ve read posts saying he’s so handsome and attractive. Mizushima is not ugly, but… He’s just not my type.
When Rihito was saying, “I will become the sword for your fight and the shield to protect you.” I was not moved at all. The line was good but I was not convinced. Of course, I’m not Mei though Mei doubted him too. Just triple that doubt and that’s how I was like hearing Mizushima say that line.
This can be left unsaid, but I will still say this. I thought Mizushima Hiro was trying to be cute. The more I saw those look-at-me-I-am-handsome scenes the more I grew fonder of Sato Takeru, whom I find unafraid to look ridiculous. Seriously, I wonder why he had to go look-at-me-I-am-handsome. By the way, Hizushima as Rihito looks like my friend Aru.
I’ve just remembered that these three – Hizushima Hiro, Mukai Osamu, and Satoh Takeru – worked together in Beck. It was actually pretty late when I realized that Hizushima played the founder and English-speaking guy of Beck. Amusing.
-------------------------------------
Also posted on: 02 August 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment